Roof Replacement Costs : What You Need To Know
Winters in Minnesota can be extreme. The Old Farmer’s Almanac says winter 2019-2020 may be especially “snowy and frigid.” Most of us are prepared, but your roof takes the brunt of the winter. It should be ready to withstand the heavy snow that will be dumped atop your home this winter.
If you’ve seen signs you’re due for a roof replacement, now’s the time. If you need work done but don’t have the expenses budgeted, you have other solutions available.
Factors Affecting Roof Replacement Costs
Just as with real estate, the location of your property can determine the type of materials needed. Obviously most Southern California homes don’t endure hailstorms often, but we do.
If you have a three-story home, roof repair or replacement costs will always be higher than if you live in a one-level ranch. Also, the square footage of your roof is not the same as your home.
Shingles, metal, and composite roofing for the Twin Cities area are standard materials, but your roof gets the brunt of winter storms; the underlayment materials are often more important than your visible roofing.
Factors impacting roof replacement costs include:
- Attic ventilation
- Boots/plumbing stacks
- Decking repair/replacement and fastening
- Drip edge flashings
- Flat vs. sloped roof
- Heavy equipment/dumpster rental
- Hip and ridge
- Roof material (composite, metals, shingles)
- Roof removal
- Special wind-resistant edging
- Structural support
- Valley metal
Choosing Your Roof Materials
What are the best rooftops for Minnesota homes? Remember, your home is probably your biggest investment. Re-roofing is making an investment in your property’s value and curb appeal. The top roofing materials for this area of the country are:
- Asphalt – These shingles are an affordable option. Their waterproofing properties are terrific and they’re relatively easy to install.
- Cement tiles – Depending on your roof’s slope, the durability (50+ years) and added fire protection offered by cement tiles may be a good choice. Non-porous cement tiles can withstand Minnesota winters and look good year-round. However, your home’s structure must be strong enough to handle the additional weight.
- Composite slate/shingles – Slate is heavy and beautiful. And expensive. Composite tiles, slate, and shingles can give you the look you want without compromising protection. Composite roofing materials can prepare your home for brutal winters — plus they’re durable and long-lasting.
- Metal – These roof coverings are trending big right now. They are incredibly durable, keep your home warm, and can stand up to high winds and heavy snowstorms. You’ll want snow guards and heating cables to prevent large sheets of snow and ice from sliding off the roof and posing a safety risk. The cost may be slightly higher, but metal roofs can last five decades or longer.
Metal roofing is lighter than you would think and materials include:
- Galvalume-coated steel
- Galvanized steel
- Stainless steel
- Solar panels – The up-front costs may be prohibitive, but there are plenty of financial incentives and pay-backs (including tax breaks) to make solar panels a roof investment worth considering.
The Value of Financing Your New Roof
Your local roofing company should meet state and local licensing requirements. These roofing professionals should know about your city’s building ordinances and construction/contractor requirements as well. You want experience, commitment to community, and workmanship guarantees as well as material warrantees from your local roofing company.
Financing options are something else your roofing pros should be able to speak to. A good roofing company should partner with a finance company to help you get the best work possible at a price that won’t place undue hardship on you or your family.
Ways to finance re-roofing include:
- FHA Title 1 home and property improvement loan
- Home equity loan
- Insurance claims
- Personal loan (avoid this when possible)
- Roofing contractor financing
Some roofing companies offer their own financing, which is an even better option. This says, “We are investing in you.” It also says, “We’ll be here when you need us. We’ll be here for your kids’ homes, too.”
Twin Cities Roofing: LB Solutions
LB Solutions provides roofing and exterior home repair and installation to Minneapolis and nearby communities. We guarantee our work and offer warranties and payment options customized for your budget. We make up-front pricing quotes and won’t “surprise” you with add-ons or unforeseen expenses.
You can trust us. We’ll tell you what’s urgent and what can be put off for a year or two. (We’ll also tell you if there’ll be additional costs for waiting to get it done as opposed to “getting it over with” now.)
Let us know what you’re thinking about and we can provide a free estimate. Call 763-516-9800 or contact LB Solutions to learn more about roofing options and financing solutions.